- Service & Repair
- Safety & Security
- About Overhead Door™
- Our Reputation
Your garage door is your home’s largest moving part and one of the cold air’s primary routes into the home. Preparing your garage door for winter is an essential fall project for homeowners. Cold weather puts additional stress on your door springs and moving parts.
Minor issues can be magnified after days of cold weather. Here are 5 tasks you can perform to help make your garage door safe and reliable through the winter. These do not replace annual maintenance by a professional.
1. Inspect the rubber seal strip on the bottom of your door. Cracked and brittle rubber will allow the cold and wet to enter your garage. If you see trouble, replace it right away to keep the elements out of your home. For the DIYer, weather-stripping can be purchased at hardware and home improvement stores. Just cut to size and insert into the grooves. Put the wide angle of the flange inside the door.
2. Fall weather brings sticks and leaves. Make sure the tracks on both sides of the door are clear of debris.
3. Keep your garage door from sticking to the snow and ice. First, using a wet rag with soap and water, clean the bottom and the edges of the rubber seal at the base of the garage door. Spray a light coat of WD40 to the rubber weather strip. This will help keep the door from sticking to whatever the weather brings. Keep the WD40 away from all other parts of the door and brackets. This is not the product for lubricating the moving parts.
4. Check the batteries. Batteries are not big fans of cold weather. Check the batteries in both the opener and remote control to make sure they have their full power. If the batteries are weak or dying, you should replace them to avoid winter breakdowns.
5. Schedule you garage door maintenance with the experts at Overhead Door™. Annual planned maintenance is essential to the longevity and efficiency of your door system. Old, weak springs and all moving parts are under additional stress in cold weather. This is why we see far more breakdowns in the winter. Planned maintenance helps identify sources for possible trouble and help ward off an untimely emergency.
Customers are our first priority. This customer’s experience with us displays our dedication to their needs and their garage door installation.
“We scheduled this garage door installation for an elderly family member that was unable to do so for herself. Our installer’s name was Kevin. His professionalism, timeliness, thoroughness, and accommodation for our busy schedules were exceptional. When we do need garage door service on one of our properties again, we will certainly be calling you, and will request Kevin for any future work.” – Coy and Marla.
To experience our service for yourself, schedule your own free garage door estimate here!
We love hearing from our garage door customers, especially new ones! This is a great example of the service that we strive to provide to all customers, new and old.
For what it’s worth, you all were the first we met with and gave us the best, most comprehensive quote and were very kind about walking us through the process (our first garage doors!) While you weren’t the cheapest, you definitely have a stellar reputation in town and made it pretty easy to say “yes” when we really compared. Having the showroom is also a big plus. I’m sure you get good feedback all the time, but just wanted to pass that along! My stingy husband didn’t even take TOO much convincing!
If you are interested in a new garage door let us know how we can help. You can even request a free estimate online.
Your biggest asset is your people and the individuals that I interacted with were first rate.
Maurice was terrific. We will be scheduling a new garage door opener in the near future.
I have 14 years of technical experience and have even worked on overhead doors, so I tend to know when someone knows what they’re doing. The technician that came out, Brad, strikes me as someone that definitely knows what they are doing. He notified me that he was on site before he began any repairs. He was professional and efficient in his repairs.
Nick explained what spring adjustments were necessary and why . . . then did a safety check to make sure everything else was A-ok. Excellent service call.